The Prime Minister of India proposed the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure- CDRI at the G20 meeting of 2017. Now the G7 meeting is proposed in France next month, besides India, Australia, Chile and South Africa have also been invited to this meeting. It is believed that India can push forward the CDRI proposal in this meeting.
Coalition for Disaster Resistant Infrastructure (CDRI)
- Whenever natural disasters occur in the world, efforts are often made to provide immediate relief but attention is never paid to building disaster resistant infrastructure.
- It is in this context that the Prime Minister of India has proposed CDRI, it will act as a body which can use this type of infrastructure related to construction sector, transport, energy, telecom and water using international experiences and resources related to this sector. Will encourage construction so that natural disasters can be prevented.
- According to the Sendai Framework, if a dollar is spent to reduce the risk of disaster, it generates a profit of seven dollars. But developing countries are facing dilemma due to limited economic capacity. In such countries economic investment capacity is limited, which is making it difficult to balance between development and construction of disaster resistant infrastructure. CDRIs can help fill this gap in developing countries through funding and technology, as well as help in building disaster-resistant infrastructure.
- For example, India is taking the global leadership to prevent deaths due to disaster in the world. The United Nations Disaster Risk Reduction Office (UNISDR) has commended India for presenting a model to the global community by creating a zero accident approach and a policy to reduce the loss and risk of disaster at national and local levels.
- But India has not been sufficiently capable to save resources and infrastructure from destruction due to extreme monsoon. In the context of India, the World Bank has estimated that the economic loss due to the disaster in the late 90s and early twentieth century has been equal to 2 percent of GDP. In such a situation, formation of CDRI is important for India.
- Japan specializes in disaster management, rehabilitation and reconstruction, a feature that makes Japan the safest and most disaster resistant country in the world, despite being naturally vulnerable to disaster.
- India has already formed the International Solar Energy Alliance (ISA) through an alliance of various countries globally to increase the use of solar energy. The establishment of CDRI will play a complementary role in India’s above mentioned effort.
- India has increased its soft power through ISA as a country to solve the problem rather than cooperate in tackling the world’s biggest problem of climate change.
- After ISA in Indian foreign policy, CDRI can be established as an innovation that the world needs.
Zero crash approach
- It refers to the precise early warning of a disaster given by the Meteorological Department, which helps agencies to evacuate areas affected by severe cyclones like Fani and initiate timely rescue operations.
- India’s zero-accident approach greatly supports the Sendai Framework in dealing with extreme seasonal events and disasters and in preventing loss of life and property from disasters.
Disaster risk reduction
- Risk refers to a sudden catastrophic event that severely disrupts the actions of the community or society and causes human, goods, etc. as well as economic or environmental harm, which the society and the community can compensate by using its limited resources can not do. Although these disasters are often caused by natural causes, they can also be caused by human activities. Often one disaster results in another disaster that has a greater impact. An example of this is earthquakes that can cause tsunami conditions and cause flooding in coastal areas.
- Disaster Risk Reduction means identifying natural and anthropogenic hazards and vulnerability and trying to reduce the impact of hazards through appropriate pre-disaster action.
- Disasters negatively affect developmental tasks, in this perspective the utility of disaster risk reduction is immense.
- Disasters ruin systems built and developed over years and decades.
- Lack of development makes marginalized communities more vulnerable to disaster.
- Uncontrolled and unscientific development can give rise to new disasters, at the same time it can also increase the risk of imbalance of nature and it also eventually occurs as a disaster. For example, excessive use of fossil fuels can lead to climate disaster.
India is taking initiative to set up Organization for Disaster Resistant Infrastructure (CDRI). This will help the developed and developing countries in building proper infrastructure to deal with natural disasters. Also, through this India will be able to increase its soft power. The establishment of CDRI is not only important from the economic point of view, but it is also important from the point of view of disaster risk reduction, meeting sustainable development goals and sustainable and inclusive development.
You May Also Like Latest Post Blue Economy 2020